Remedies for your child’s nasal blockage or nasal congestion
One of the most common problems with babies and small kids is a cough and cold accompanied with the nose blockage or nasal congestion. Mucus stuffed inside the nostrils make breathing a task as neither the babies can blow their nose out nor can the small kids do it effectively.
Babies and toddlers are obligatory nose breathers. Babies below 2 years can only breathe through their nose; even older babies are not good at breathing through the mouth. Thus, nasal congestion makes it very difficult for them to breathe and they become extremely cranky or refuse to eat or sleep.
What are the 5 signs of Nasal Congestion in babies
- If your baby has a runny nose constantly even after wiping it, then mucus build up is stuffing the nose.
- If the baby makes a wheezing sound while breathing and the breathing is noisy and audible.
- If the wheezing continues while sleeping or the baby is snoring while
- If the baby is sneezing continuously. Sneezing happens when the nose is stuffy and irritates the nerve endings inside the nostrils.
- If the baby is touching his nose continuously, it could be a sign of nasal congestion.
What are the 6 signs of Nasal Congestion in kids aged 1
- Runny Nose
- Noisy Breathing
- In few cases of Infection, fever
What are the causes of Nasal Congestion in Babies and Kids
Cold is one of the most common causes of mucus build up and nasal congestion
Nasal Congestion can also happen when asthma causes the inflammation of the respiratory tissues
Babies can sometimes be allergic to certain allergens which can cause inflammation of the nasal tissues that leads to a nasal blockage or nasal congestion
Influenza will also cause a runny nose or a nasal congestion along with high fever
Sinus Infection will also cause the formation of thick mucus
Pollutants & Environmental irritants:
Pollution, dust, dry air, poor quality air, and smoke can cause a runny nose in babies
9 ways to provide relief from nasal congestion in babies and toddlers
- You can use saline drops or salt water sprays as they are a natural decongestant for a stuffy Saline drops are also one of the safest decongestants for babies below 1 year of age. It softens up the dried mucus too. You can use Nasivion Mini (Baby 0.01%) Nose Drops (make sure that you consult a doctor/pediatrician before using it). Gently tilt the head back a little and pour one or two drops in the babies nostrils and wait for the mucus to be expelled out.
- An aspirator or nasal suction bulb can be used to draw out the mucus in babies.
- In kids aged 1 to 6 years, you can use a nasal drop or decongestant like Nasivion Child (0.025%) Nose Drops. 1 or 2 drops in each nostril 2-3 times a day can help to clear up the blockage or a runny nose. Do consult a pediatrician before using it.
- Keep your child well hydrated. For older children, you can offer healthy beverages other than water too. Warm Chicken Broth is also a good alternative and provides relief during a cold.
- Keep the child’s head a little elevated while sleeping.
- For children older than a year, you can use a humidifier or a steamy air purifier.
- If your child is old enough, ask him/her to blow their nose
- Ensure that your baby or child gets adequate rest as this is the most important way to heal.
- Keep the environment clean and sterilized. Remove possible allergens, dust, smoke etc. Carpets, Rugs, pillows, curtains, stuffed toys etc could be a host to dust mites and irritants. Clean them regularly. Clean the AC or furnace filter regularly. Do not use any type of deodorants, strong chemicals in the child’s surroundings.
See a doctor immediately in case of any of the following:
- High Fever
- Green or yellow or Bloodstained Mucus
- Very fast breathing
- Child is touching his ear
- Runny nose is continuous
- Any type of rashes on the body
You can check these links to know more on this https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=jRGObP_vJHk&list=PL6fmLQJYer ql4-y_au5ZJkUlWgvt2w3xC
The above post is a sponsored post for Nasivion https://www.nasivion.com/en_ IN/home/kids-babies.html but the views and thoughts expressed are as per the writer’s experiences.