What do your evenings look like after becoming a mom? These are our Weekend scenes. After a tiring day my little moppet fell asleep during dinner. Life sure has changed in the last year and a half for us.
Dinners out are way different than what they used to be. There are no more relaxing conversations over some yummy food, rather, now it is trying to keep the toddler engaged and happy. Though the second part is pretty easy as baby A is very happy to go out. He enjoys it a lot. But keeping him engaged is another thing.
Also having a super active toddler around means that we never ever travel without our high chair. Most restaurants have high chairs available, and I make it a point to call ahead and ask that. If they dont provide one, we carry ours along.
I have been using the @fisherprice 4 In 1 High chair and it is one more thing I am happy to have bought. It converts into a portable high chair which is very easy to carry along in our car. Without a high chair, we cannot hope to dine out with baby A. I really like this chair as
- It has 4 features,
- can be used as a high chair
- a booster seat, which is portable and easy to carry
- later on this can be used as a table and chair for the toddler to sit and read at
- The tray is large
- The fabric part comes off easily and is machine washable
- It is very sturdy, trust me, baby A shakes and behaves like a mini tornado at times, while sitting on it but he is unable to budge it a bit
- You can see the pic below, and it is available on @amazonindia
Here is the link; http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00TH5AMAW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491548862&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=fisherprice+high+chair&dpPl=1&dpID=41kUcfranRL&ref=plSrch
The second challenge is keeping all the cutlery away from him and also hiding all types of glasses from him. He is in that phase where he wants to imitate all of the things that we do, and thus refuses to drink water from his sippy cup and insists on drinking it from our tumblers. He is getting very good at it too. Eating with a spoon is a little distant yet though, thus we end up having a lot of spilled food around 🙈. He does not let us feed him and has to do it on his own. Thus Eating doesn’t happen that much.
There are a couple of things I ensure to do when we go out
1. Go to a place which allows babies and also ensure it is not too crowded and loud. Though i want him to get familiar with outside environment but I don’t think he needs his dose of live music and bar crowd just right now. We prefer the little less crowded places.
2. I remove all cutlery from his reach, as mentioned earlier. I also carry his spoon and sippy cup. The restaurant cutlery is sometikes heavy and not suitable for a child.
3. Carry loads of wipes, and sanitiser of course is always in my bag. Wipe his hands down, wipe down everything around him as he may decide to pick it up and put it in his mouth. And sanitise our hands before eating. Though I will prefer washing hands anyday before sanitising. But sometimes it is not possible so much
4. We generally choose a seat which is a little secluded or in the corner and is confortable. So that he can jump around and we are at peace and can let him be him
5. Baby A loves spaghetti and noodles, so the 1st thing we order is that. Inask them to make it with very little seasoning and spices, most restaurants will oblige and prepare the dish as per your instructions. Ask them to make something simple which your baby likes.
6. We put him on his high chair and let him eat on his own. It can be messy i agree but he surprises me with the way he handles his food. Awww moment there
7. All the food we order is alway instructed to have less spices and no chilly. As baby A does end up tasting and eating our food. And i let him eat whatever he likes. It is important to let hom explore new tastes. Continental food has a lot of grilled and steamed options and it is easier to feed it to baby A. He loves it.
8. I do not let him have outside water yet, not even mineral water. And carry his water.
9. I carry some of his fav snacks in my bag, just in case if he refuses all the food. A hungry baby will be hard to manage and you cant eat if he is hungry. So it is for emergencies, generally i carry , whole wheat biscuits or home made nimkins and a bottle of milk
9. A change of clothes for him and extra diapers. You need to be prepared just in case 😊
But as I was saying, the dinner scenes have changed a lot, both of us are busy entertaining the baby and don’t really get to talk that much. And the focus is also on feeding him. And then if he wants to get out of the high chair, which he does after some amount of time, then trying to eat with him squiggling in your lap is an effort worth an award. Well in those cases, we give in and put on a video for him 🙈🙊. Go ahead judge away, I don’t mind, We want to have our dinner in peace and this way we can, so there it is. I don’t mind a little bit of screen time, if it is the only way to keep him engaged at times when we are outside sitting at some place.
This pic was taken when he fell asleep during dinner, he was tired after running around the mall. How do your evening scenes look like post a baby, have they changed? Do share any tips if you have to make the evenings smoother when going out with a kid. Would love to read some tips 😊